Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Curriculum Night

Dear Blogger:

I am tired.

It's not just the long hours I've been working (which are, thankfully, paying off -- I finally feel just about caught up).  Last night was Curriculum Night.


Other Art Teacher and I have been helping our two wonderful curriculum coordinators set up for this event.  We made signs, hauled tables, and hung student artwork based on the night's theme: "Soar with Common Core!"


2nd Grade Pattern Hot Air Balloons

 The grade levels had their booths (booths being a misnomer - they were tables) with wonderful education activities all based on the Common Core standards.  There was food, and computers were available for an online parent survey.

At about four o'clock, I started feeling a little left out.  So I said to myself, "Self?  Let's have an art 'booth!'"  I asked OAT if she was interested, and thankfully, she was - I wouldn't have survived the evening without her!

Paper masks seemed like a quick and easy project. We keep several templates around, so we grabbed those, some rolls of corrugated border (to make head bands with), construction paper and construction paper crayons, scissors, and a couple of handy-dandy staplers and set up our table.


4th Grade Origami Crane
It's good our project was so
simple, because for two solid hours, we were swamped!  There was hardly a chance to snag a hot dog or even just a drink of water.  We were seeing children even as the other teachers closed up shop.  I had not expected our last minute activity table to be so popular, but despite the hectic pace, it was a lot of fun.

I'm really glad we participated!


No comments:

Post a Comment